Become a volunteer and create change in your community
Volunteering is any activity that involves putting your unpaid time, energy and skills for the greater good.
New Zealand is a leading nation in the contribution made by volunteers. A 2013 study of the New Zealand non-profit sector estimated that volunteers contribute more than 157 million unpaid hours of work valued at over $3.5 billion to non-profit organisations.
Volunteers create positive change on many fronts – human rights, faith communities, health, education, sports and recreation, social services, arts and culture, emergency services, the environment and conservation, animal welfare, and community support development – the list is endless.
Why do people volunteer?
- To learn new skills, knowledge and experience
- To develop existing skills, knowledge and experience
- To find new passions
- To meet new people and forming long-term friends and partnerships
- To contribute to a good cause
- To make an invaluable difference
- To have fun!
How do I get started?